A news verification initiative by The Times of India arms the readers to fight the spread of fake messages and erroneous news.
Today's world is exposed to a wave of right and fake pieces of information. The repercussions of fake information are a generation of aggressive behaviours, biased opinions and manipulated minds.
Today's world is exposed to a wave of right and fake pieces of information. The repercussions of fake information are a generation of aggressive behaviours, biased opinions and manipulated minds. As a solution for this, Techfriar developed times verified, an in-house technology for the times of india, to verify the authenticity of messages and break the chain of fake news.
- To identify a user-friendly and widely used platform for the client to connect with the readers.
- To develop a back-end technology that integrates various sources of information for fact-checking.
- To revert the verified information back to the reader within the user time frame.
- To create a custom reply for the messages sent by the reader.
The Techfriar team initiated the project by identifying the right platform to develop the verification feature and discussed it with the client. We planned and created a wireframe of the entire project keeping in mind the requirements and possible barriers. After getting approval from the client, our team of developers worked on enhancing the draft wireframe into a real-time project.
Developing a back-end platform, we integrated Whatsapp with real-time online data that helps in identifying real news from fake news. When a reader shares unverified or suspicious news, the internal team could check its credibility with the help of real-time data updating and automated decision making features. Once the moderator approves the decision made on the news, the internal team responds to the reader by attaching the True/Fake stamp on the message within the expected timeframe.
- Developed the Times Verified feature on Whatsapp, a user-friendly and widely used application.
- API authentication was enabled to provide the user access.
- Information received from the readers is classified based on zone and location for easy verification.
- A back end platform was developed to enable a screening process in the form of verifier and reviewer roles.
- Verified the authenticity of forwards, which includes messages, links, pictures and videos sent by the reader.
- Messages were categorized as true, fake, irrelevant and ignored using the decision making feature.
- Used the True/Fake stamp on text message screenshots, videos and images to revert to the reader after receiving the verified information from the back-end team.
Breaking the chain of fake news, try Times Verified
Back end panel
Techfriar developed Times Verified, the Whatsapp API, to break the chain of fake news and fake forward messages, which is the need of the hour.